The SPF shows improved fibre properties like tensile strength, touch, feel, handle, moisture absorbency, lustre, and dimensional stability when it is blended with other fibres.
Ford’s Robert Boyer and Frank Calvert spun it into an artificial silk that was then tailored into that now famous “silk is soy” suit that Henry Ford wore on special occasions.
Glidden sent a sample of Julian's isolated soy (alpha) protein to National Foam System Inc. (today a unit of Kidde Fire Fighting) at the start of the 2nd World War, which used it to develop Aero-Foam, used by the U.S. Navy for fire fighting and referred to as "bean soup.
Soy protein isolate has been used since 1959 in foods for its functional properties.
• Soy protein fibre ( SPF) reflects a cream colour light.
• The diameter of soy protein fibre (SPF) is around 20 µm.
• The microscopic examination of soy protein fibre ( SPF) indicates longitudinal striations on the surface parallel to the axis, varying in length and depth.
•The cross-section of soy protein fibre( SPF) shows a kidney - bean like cross-sectional shape.
• Soybean proteins are used for food and feed and in many industries as adhesives, emulsions, cleansing materials, pharmaceuticals, inks, plastics and also textile fibres.
“Raw material for spinning textile fibres is obtained from soybean remaining flakes after the extraction of oils and other fatty substances”.
• Soybean proteins consist of 18 various amino acids. There are about 23% of acidic amino acids (glutamic acid and aspartic amino acid).
• 25% of alkaline amino acids (serine, arginine, lysine, tyrosine, threonine, tryptophane) are found in soy protein approximately.
• 30% of neutral amino acids (leucine, phenylalanine, valine, alanine, isoleucine, proline, glycine) are found in soy protein approximately.
• There are amino acids having sulphur also found in soy proteins.
• Approximately 1.0% of cysteine and 0.35% of methionine get presented in soy protein.
• Soybean proteins consist of various groups of polypeptides with a broad range of molecular size. Almost 90% are salt-soluble globulins (soluble in dilute salt solutions) and the remainder is water-soluble albumins.
• Very important as raw material for producing textile fibres are storage globulins with predominant β-conglycinin (30 - 50% of the total seed proteins) and glycinin (ca 30% of the total seed proteins).
• Beta conglycinin is a heterogeneous glycoprotein composed of three subunits (a', a, beta) contained asparagine, glutamine, arginine and leucine amino acids. Subunits are non-covalently associated into trimeric proteins by hydrophobic interactions and hydrogen bonding without any disulphide bonds.
• Glycinin is a large hexamer, composed from acidic and basic polypeptides linked together by disulphide bonds.
• The spherical protein is distilled from the soybean cake and and is refined.
• The space structure of spherical protein changes under the functioning of auxiliary agent and biological enzyme. Now, protein spinning liquid gets confected by adding high polymers .
• The 0.9 - 3.0 dtex fibre is produced by wet spinning after cooking of liquid. Then it is stabilised by acetalisation process. Finally, the filaments are cut into short staples after curling and thermoforming processes.
The soy protein fibre poses very good appearance. The fabric surface has very good seen. The feel and touch is very smooth. The fabric made of soy protein shows silk like lustre and smoothness. The fabric woven from SPF has tremendous draping characteristic.
The unprocessed SPF look like almost ivory colour. It has very good dyeing affinity. It is coloured with acid dyes and reactive dyes. It poses very good light fastness, washing fastness, fastness to perspiration.
The soy protein fibre shows no any harmful effecti on human skin. The presence of many amino acids in the SPF keeps the skin healthy.
Many herbal medicines are added during wet spinning process of SPF with the side chain of SPF in the manner of chemical bonds. The medical effect gets permanent in this process.
Its low specific gravity makes it almost equivalent to wool. The moisture regain and moisture transmission rate are excellent. This fibre feels more comfortable than cotton. The lustre, touch and feel are almost similar to that of silk. All these properties make it an ideal fibre.
The SPF fibre has better protective capabilities against ultraviolet radiation. It is better than silk, cotton, and viscose rayon.
Soy protein fibre has antimicrobial characteristic. It help to prevent the development of bacteria in the fabric. It is very suitable for underwear during summer.
The SPF poses excellent draping characteristic.
• The SPF shows very soft handle and smooth touch
It is low specific gravity fibre.
• It has moisture absorption rate similar to cotton but it has better moisture transmission rate than cotton fibre.
The fabric made of SPF is easily washable. The fabric gets dried veryfast.
environment in any ways. It is produced by
waste getting after extraction of proteins and
fats from soybeans.
Breaking strength of the single SPF is over 3.0 CNdtex, which is higher than that of wool, cotton and silk and only lower than that of polyester fibre of high intension. By now, 1.27 dtex fibre can be spun into 6 dtex yarn with high quality, which can be used for high-quality and high density fabrics. Also, fabric of SPF has outstanding anti-crease, easy-wash and fast-dry property
You may also be interested in following articles