Chemical composition of flax fibre is given in below table:
GROWING OF FLAX PLANT
One heavily branched fine stem
• Averages 24-36” tall
• Tap root up to 40” long
• Lanceloate leaves
• Deep green
Cultivation of flax plant:
When the seeds are sown in the field. The flax plant height reaches to one metre approximately after 3 - 4 months. Now the pale blue colour flowers begin to appear on the stems of the plant. The whole plant is pulled from the soil after flowering. This practice helps to maximize the length of the flax fibres.
The retting is done either by laying the bundles in a damp field for two weeks approximately, where they ret in the dew, or by leaving them in stationary water ( pond) for a few days.
Natural retting :
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF LINEN FIBRE
Physical properties of linen fibers are given below:
The linen fibres has long length. The linen fibre length varies between the range of 18 inches to 30 inch.
Lusture or seen of linen fibre:
The lustre ( seen) of the linen fibre looks brighter than cotton fibre and it has slightly silky appearance.
Specific gravity of linen fibre is 1.50 grams/cc. This is lighter than cotton.
Standard moisture content of linen is 12%. The moisture content is greater than cotton
Effect of Heat:
Effect of Sun Light:
CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF LINEN FIBRE:
Effect of Acids:
Effects of Alkalis:
Effect of Organic Solvent:
Effect of Micro Organism:
USES OF LINEN FIBRE:
• children's wear etc.
SOME FACTS ABOUT LINEN(FLAX) FIBRE:
- The possibility of ironing linen fabrics with a hot iron helps to obtain a high degree of elimination ( less than 40 per cent of the micto- bacterias remains on the surface).
- The high electrical conductivity of flax fibre helps to prevent dirt and dust contamination in it. This characteristic helps to reduce the washing frequency of the fabric. Thus the life of the fabric gets increased.
- The liinen is the most strongest fibre among the vegetable fibers. This is 2 to 3 times more strong than cotton.
- The fibres do not get elongated and are resistant to damage from abrasion.
- The linen fabrics have very good dimensional stability after washing.
Chemical composition and chemical formula of wool fibre
Chemical composition of abaca fibre
Chemical composition of silk fibres
Nylon 66 fibre production process
Polyester fibre production process
Yarn count or yarn fineness & various types of yarn COUNT systems
You may also be interested in below sponsored links: